Bus service to the conference venue - please help us!
The Organizing Committee of IASE 2015 will provide bus transport from the 3 hotels listed below (Regina, Windsor Florida, Novo Mundo). We need to estimate the number of people wishing to use the bus service, hence ask all participants to indicate now in which hotel they will be staying - click here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tapgecDI3aQ9WZHYV2nzEgBBUHcSE99Cjog-Z9bL5mk/viewform. It takes 15 seconds - Thank you!
Soon we will publish more information about the times and locations of the bus service.
Comissão Organizadora do IASE 2015 disponibilizará transporte a partir dos 3 hotéis indicados abaixo (Regina, Windsor Florida, Novo Mundo). A fim de dimensionar o número de pessoas que pretendem utilizar o transporte, solicitamos a todos os participantes que indiquem em qual hotel estará hospedado https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tapgecDI3aQ9WZHYV2nzEgBBUHcSE99Cjog-Z9bL5mk/viewform.
Em breve traremos informações mais precisas sobre os horários e locais dos ônibus.
The 2015 IASE Satellite conference will be held at the Centro de Ciências Exatas e Tecnologia (CCET), at 458 Pasteur Avenue, on the campus of UNIRIO, the Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, in the old and beautiful Urca neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro.
Transport: Getting to your hotel, to the Conference Venue, etc.
Arrival in Rio de Janeiro and travel to your hotel
After arriving at the international airport Galeão/Jobim in Rio, you can easily reach the Flamengo Beach / UNIRIO area (for example if you stay at Hotel Regina or Windsor Florida or Novo Mundo hotels), either by Taxi or Bus:
- Taxi: This is the recommended mode - safe and quite inexpensive, about 20-25 min. In normal conditions. The regular (metered) taxis from airport to Flamengo cost about R$50 (around US$18) in daytime travel or R$60 for travel after 9 pm and all day Sunday and holidays (assuming normal traffic conditions, higher if traffic is slow). There are also "Special taxis" – around R$ 80,00 pre-paid, fixed price regardless of time of actual of trip. But, it is not necessary to take special taxis!
See TripAdvisor here for more ideas on how to use regular and special taxis, for other options (there is a new shuttle service at specific times) and for helpful advise to travelers to Rio.
- Bus: line 2018 (Linha 2018 ) from Galeão/Jobim airport is the less expensive way to go to Flamengo and the UNIRIO area. Later the same bus can take you to Barra da Tijuca area (along the beachfront of Zona Sul), where RioCentro is located and WSC60 takes place. Bus 2018 Ticket: R$13,50 at this moment – You have to pay the driver. (The bus is operated by REAL, sometimes called Frescao). If you stay in Flamengo, you have to ask the driver to stop near the number 60 at Flamengo Beach - tell him the name of the street where your hotel is located (check it in advance) and be prepared to walk a bit! We do not have Metro from the Airport to downtown.
Transport to UNIRIO/conference venue, from your hotel:
The recommended mode is the conference bus (will pick up from the 3 conference hotels listed below, and return from UNIRIO at the end of the day; times weill be published), or Local Taxi which is fast, 10-15 minutes from nearby hotels, cost around 8$ per ride (less if you share). There are also a public bus service (details at the hotel) and a metro/subway (station near some hotels, and at UNIRIO Campus entrance)
Registration & further conference information
- Conference Venue: Centro de Ciências Exatas e Tecnologia (CCET), at 458 Pasteur Avenue, UNIRIO.
- Registration: starts on Wednesday 22 July, from 07:40. Workshops start from 08:00 (some at 08:30!). The opening ceremony starts at 14:30. Check details + last minute changes to the full program here or under "programme" in the Main menu.
- Please plan your hotel departure so you can arrive in advance and complete registration without rush. At the campus entrance, you will see signs directing you to CCET, and there will be students/staff to assist. At the registration desk you will receive your conference badge and materials, including the Program booklet. At the conference you will get more information about lunch options around the campus, and additional information. Weather: Since it may rain a bit on some days, make sure you have a light raincoat or umbrella so you can walk around Campus; otherwise weather is expected to be quite nice.
About travel in Rio de Janeiro and to the WSC60 area, local entertainment:
- More about travelling in Rio: Rio is a beautiful city, prepared for tourism and for upcoming international events including for the World Cup in 2014 and will host the Olympic Games in 2016. You can find more information about Rio and travel in Brazil on the WSC60 website under the "Useful information" menu. The UNIRIO Campus area is a safe area, but as usual in all big cities of the world, tourists should be aware of their surroundings and take precautions, especially on the beach and in large public places. Enjoy!
- Farewell entertainment / where to have more fun: You are welcome to explore on your own two great places. One is Rio Scenarium, The renovated "Hall of culture" with live entrainment and special views: http://www.rioscenarium.com.br/novo/quem_somos.php . The other is Lapa at night, an area of small streets with many restaurants and shops at an old lovely section of Rio: http://www.rio.com/restaurants-night-life/lapa-night. These locations offer many food options and some music; they are not part of the conference program and going there depends on your choices and timeframe - but we assume several delegates will want to go there at the end of Day 3, as a nice way to end your visit with new and old friends.
Accommodation / Hotels
Delegates are invited to stay in one of the nearby hotels, which are close to the Flamingo (Flamengo) beach, at a distance of 4km-5km north from the conference venue. There are several local restaurants close by to these hotels or at them.
Below is a list of suggested hotels in the Flamengo Beach area (You are also free to search for other hotels in that area and/or book your hotel directly via commercial websites such as Hotels.com or Booking.com. Check both as there may be special deals). Enter the websites of the hotels below via the Links provided, if needed choose the "English/Ingles" option on top. Note: rooms are subject to availability; due to high demand, you are advised to make your reservations soon.
Hotel Regina link
Special prices range from US$ 166 to US$ 228
Hotel Windsor Florida link
Special prices range from US$ 115 to US$ 244
Hotel Novo Mundo link
Special prices range from US$ 130 to US$ 326